Prince William and Prince Harry have made the rare move of issuing a statement after The Times reported today that Harry and Meghan Markle felt pushed out of the royal family in part because of William’s “bullying attitude.” The couple announced their intent last week to step back as senior members of the family and to become financially independent.
The outlet reported that a single source told them that, despite other sources disputing it. The outlet wrote, “An insider has told The Times that the pair both feel ‘tethered’ by their responsibilities. The source added that the couple regarded themselves as having been pushed away by what they saw as a bullying attitude from the Duke of Cambridge. These claims have been strongly contested by sources close to the Cambridges, as well as some close to Prince Harry.”
So Harry and William formally released a statement against the story this morning. Royal reporters tweeted out. They said: “Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between The Duke of Sussex and The Duke of Cambridge. For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful.”
William, Harry, their dad Prince Charles, and their grandmother Queen Elizabeth II are expected to meet today in Sandringham to discuss Meghan and Harry’s future roles in the family.
As first reported this Saturday, ELLE.com understands that “no one wants to be vindictive or punish Harry” despite reports to the contrary in the press. Harry is “loved by his family.” While the situation is “complex,” they want to find a compromise and give him the support he needs. The mood is “let’s just get something fixed. Let’s get a structure and a plan and move on. The drama and division is doing the most damage,” according to a source close to Prince William.
Meghan is in Canada with her and Harry’s son Archie and is expected to call into the meeting.